What wonderful ways can kids enjoy nature during the fall season?
1. Go on a nature hike. Bring a collection bag to collect rocks, leaves, seeds, or fancy sticks.
2. Hunt for signs of fall. Take digital photos for a fall book. Or, draw what you see in your fall nature journal.
3. Leaf play, art, and writing.
- Make leaf rubbings.
- Sort leaves into shapes and colors.
- Read the picture book, Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. Make your own Leaf Man. Write a story about your Leaf Man. Or, make a Leaf Man puppet.
5. Decorate gourds and pumpkins with sharpies, paint, glue, pom-poms, glitter, ribbons, felt, or other craft supplies. Or, hollow out and use as a vase for dried flowers.
6. Make chocolate chip pumpkin muffins – my kids' favorite pumpkin treat.
7. Rake leaves into pile and JUMP!
8. Visit an apple farm or a pumpkin patch.
9. Collect sticks and build a fairy house or tunnel.
10. Learn about letterboxing – an outdoor treasure hunt throughout the United States and world.
What other fall activities does your family enjoy?